This Program Lets You Try the Freestyle Libre CGM for Free
Educational content related to CGM technology is made possible with support from Abbott, the makers of the Freestyle Libre and a Founding Partner of Beyond Type 2. Editorial control rests solely on Beyond Type 1.
Whether you’re newly diagnosed with diabetes or you’ve been living with it for years, trying new diabetes technology can be a little daunting. Fortunately, the manufacturers of today’s continuous glucose monitor (CGM) technology have realized that they need an easy introduction to it.
Let’s take a look at the My Freestyle Program that lets you try the Libre 14-Day, Libre 2 or Libre 3 CGM system for free.
What is the My Freestyle program?
The My Freestyle program is a simple 3-step process to getting a Freestyle Libre 14-Day, Libre 2 or Libre 3 sensor for free. They can be worn for up to two weeks—giving you the opportunity to try using a CGM at no cost.
The difference between the Libre 14-day, Libre 2 and Libre 3:
- Libre 14-Day: You have to manually swipe the sensor on your arm with your phone using the LibreLink app (or the receiver device if you don’t have a Smartphone) every time you want to see what your blood sugar is. There are no alert options because it isn’t continuously reporting blood sugar levels.
- Libre 2: The sensor is constantly communicating via Bluetooth with the Libre 2 app on your phone. This means it can also alert you when your blood sugars rise above certain levels or fall below certain levels.
- Libre 3: This sensor is the smallest, thinnest CGM sensor on the market today! It’s about the size of two stacked pennies and includes all the features of the Libre 2.
The easy 3-step process to getting a free Libre CGM:
- Fill out this online form to receive your voucher via email.
- Ask your doctor to send a prescription for the Libre 14-Day, Libre 2 or Libre 3 to your preferred pharmacy.
- Bring the voucher (either on your phone or printed) to your pharmacy when you pick up your Libre prescription.
That’s it. Then follow the directions that come with your sensor to get started—including downloading the LibreLink or Libre 2 app. Dexcom also offers their own free CGM trial with the Hello Dexcom program.
Still a little unsure of what a CGM can do for you as a person with diabetes? Keep reading.
What is a CGM?
A CGM is a small wearable device that tracks your blood sugar levels in real-time throughout the day and night. Instead of pricking your finger, all you have to do is look at your Smartphone. (If you don’t use a Smartphone, you can get an additional receiver device to see your blood sugar levels.)
Today’s CGM technology starts with an easy at-home insertion process that takes only a couple of minutes. After inserting a new sensor, the CGM sensor then sits in your subcutaneous tissue (body fat). You don’t feel it—it’s a tiny wire-like material and it can handle everyday life, like exercise, sleeping on it, showering, swimming, etc.
Compared to using a glucose meter with a fingerprick, your CGM can:
- Automatically report your blood sugar levels every five minutes, sending the data to an app in your Smartphone or separate receiver device. These apps including easy-to-read graphs that help you determine whether or not you’re in your personal goal range.
- Automatically report whether your blood sugar is rising or falling at that very moment, helping you make critical decisions around food, insulin and physical activity.
- Alert you to your blood sugar crossing certain high or low thresholds. For example, you can personalize these alerts to tell you when your blood sugar is rising above 160 mg/dL or when it drops below 80 mg/dL. This is especially helpful while you’re sleeping, exercise and managing everyday life!
- Help you safely manage blood sugar levels in a tighter range because you have access to so much more blood sugar information.
- One sensor can be used for 14 days before you’ll remove it and insert a new sensor in a new location.
- Ideal CGM sites include the back of your arm, abdomen, lower back, upper buttocks and outer thigh.
*Learn more about how CGMs work.
It’s definitely worth a try
Don’t let your old management routine keep you from trying something new. Using a CGM to keep an eye on your blood sugar is a game changer for life with any type of diabetes. Your fingertips will thank you, too!