Avgolemono Chicken Soup
Editor’s Note: This recipe was selected as part of a partnership between Beyond Type 1 and Sun Basket as a yummy way to eat and live well with type 1 diabetes. It was developed by nutritionists at Sun Basket as a lower-carb and well-balanced meal. Sign up here to try Sun Basket.
Avgolemono, an egg-lemon soup, is traditionally served on Christmas Eve in Greece, but this delicious, easy-to-make dish is delicious all year long.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 or 2 cloves peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces cauliflower “rice”
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 or 3 sprigs fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- 2 pasture-raised organic eggs
1) Poach the chicken
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
In a medium frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Stir in the shallots and garlic, season lightly with salt and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the cauliflower “rice,” season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the cauliflower starts to soften, 3 to 5 minutes. Cover partially to keep warm.
While the cauliflower cooks, prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
- Zest enough lemon to measure ¼ teaspoon; juice the lemon.
- Crack the eggs into a medium heatproof bowl and whisk until blended.
4) Finish the soup
Bring the vegetable broth mixture to a simmer. In a slow stream, gradually whisk about 1 cup hot broth into the bowl with the eggs until smooth and blended. Add the egg mixture to the simmering broth and whisk until incorporated. Stir in the shredded chicken, cauliflower “rice,” parsley, dill and lemon zest and juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Transfer the soup to individual bowls, drizzle each serving with 1 tablespoon oil and serve.
Makes 2 servings
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!