Cauliflower Beef Bowl
Whether you want to use brown rice or white rice, we think you’ll enjoy using cauliflower as a substitute for this super yummy, low-carb beef bowl. This is a flavorful and low-carb dinner choice that takes some chopping but is a breeze to prepare. We also really love eating things out a bowl. It’s a common theme in our house. Recently our kids asked why they had little bowls and we had big ones, so now we are all eating out of big bowls.
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1 TB coconut sugar
- 1 TB toasted sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions (minced into 1/2 cup)
- 2 TB minced garlic
- 4 TB toasted sesame seeds
- 1 lb flank steak (I like to ask the butcher to slice it a little thinner, like 1/8 thick)
- 1 TB avocado oil
- 1 lb shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 TB coconut aminos
- 1 TB coconut oil melted
- salt and pepper
- 8 carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4 rounds on the diagonal
- 1 english cucumber or regular (remove seeds)
- coconut vinegar
- 2 bunches of spinach
- 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 head cauliflower or pre-made cauliflower rice
- 6 eggs
- Melt coconut oil in a pan, add aminos and cook mushrooms until nice and medium to dark brown, remove from heat.
- Slice the cucumbers thin like pickle slices, cover with coconut vinegar while you prep everything else.
- Peel the carrots, slice into 1/4 inch slices and steam until slightly tender (I like a crunch).
- Cook spinach in sesame oil until it’s soft.
- Take spinach out of the pan and place on a paper towel and try to squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Now that all of your toppings are ready, heat up a TB of your preferred oil to cook the steak. Wait until the pan is smoking and cook both sides of the steak for no more than 5 minutes total. Remove from heat and let cool briefly. Slice into strips.
- Pulse the cauliflower florets (not the stems) in a food processor or finely chop, and toss them with salt and a little bit of olive oil. Spread onto a baking sheet and roast at 425 for 25 minutes or until brown spots appear. Or you can just buy it from Trader Joe’s if you’re running short of time.
- Now put your cauliflower rice in the bottom of a bowl. Next, arrange all of your toppings, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, steak, quick pickles and sprinkle more toasted sesame seeds or use gomaiso (which we always have laying around).
- For the sauce, mix coconut aminos, coconut sugar, sesame oil, white and pale green scallions, garlic, ginger, and 2 tablespoons sesame seeds in a bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Finally, fry one egg to top each bowl!
1/4 cup carrots 3g
steak 1g with marinade
cauliflower rice 5g
1/4 cup spinach 0g
cauliflower rice 2g
raw onion (very much optional, my son is insane and loves them)
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!