Cauliflower Chickpea Curry
This pressure cooker recipe was submitted by Shelby Kinnaird of the Diabetic Foodie.
The first time I tried this recipe, I used a frozen cauliflower-carrot-broccoli combination, and the broccoli got way overcooked. Since most frozen vegetable mixtures contain broccoli, I went with a bag of cauliflower and a bag of carrots instead. The list of ingredients may look long, but the dish comes together without much hands-on time.
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 11⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 11⁄2 tablespoons Garam Masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-ounce) bag frozen cauliflower florets
- 1 (15-ounce) bag frozen carrots
- 11⁄2 cups Salt-Free Chickpeas
- 2 cups baby spinach, optional
- Lime wedges, for serving
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
Substitution tip: Use low-sodium vegetable broth from a carton or can. Use canned chickpeas (rinsed and drained). If you don’t want to make your own garam masala, you may be able to find it in the spice aisle in your grocery store.
1. Set the electric pressure cooker to the Sauté setting. When the pot is hot, pour in the avocado oil.
2. Sauté the onion for 3 to 5 minutes, until it begins to soften.
3. Add the garlic, ginger, garam masala, turmeric, salt and tomato paste. Stir for a minute or two until fragrant then hit Cancel.
4. Stir in the broth, coconut milk, tomatoes and their juices, cauliflower and carrots.
5. Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the valve to sealing.
6. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
7. When the cooking is complete, hit Cancel and allow the pressure to release naturally.
8. Once the pin drops, unlock and remove the lid.
9. Stir in the chickpeas and spinach (if using). Replace the lid for about 5 minutes or until the chickpeas warm up and the spinach wilts.
10. Garnish with cilantro (if using) and serve with a squeeze of fresh lime juice.
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at email@example.com!