Hoisin Chicken Lettuce Wraps
This pressure cooker recipe was submitted by Shelby Kinnaird of the Diabetic Foodie. Learn more about Shelby and find more of her recipes by visiting her website.
Hoisin sauce makes for some tasty Chinese food, but it’s incredibly high in sodium. Here, I’ve tried to recreate the flavors with a bit less salt. The chicken breast is cooked, then served in lettuce cups with broccoli slaw and cashews for crunch. Who needs rice? The Sriracha gives the sauce some punch. If you don’t like things too spicy, simply leave it out.
Prep Time: 10 minutes; Cook Setting: High; Pressure-Up Time: 8 minutes; Cook Time: 20 minutes; Release: Quick; Total Time: 45 minutes
Nutrition Content Per Serving (4 servings): Calories: 233; Total Fat: 13g; Protein: 14g; Carbohydrates: 18g; Sugars: 10g; Fiber: 2g; Sodium: 1080mg
For the Chicken:
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- ⅓ cup low-sodium gluten-free tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons peeled and minced fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup Chicken Bone Broth or water
- 2 scallions, both white and green parts, thinly sliced, divided 1 bone-in, skin-on chicken breast (about 1 pound)
For the Lettuce Wraps:
- Large lettuce leaves (preferably Bibb)
- 1 cup broccoli slaw or shredded cabbage
- ¼ cup chopped cashews, toasted
To make the chicken:
- In the electric pressure cooker, whisk together the peanut oil, tamari, honey, rice vinegar, Sriracha, garlic, ginger, and broth. Stir in the white parts of the scallions.
- Place the chicken breast in the sauce, meat-side down.
- Close and lock the lid of the pressure cooker. Set the valve to sealing.
- Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- When the cooking is complete, hit Cancel and quick release the pressure.
- Once the pin drops, unlock and remove the lid.
- Using tongs, transfer the chicken breast to a cutting board. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the skin, shred the chicken, and return it to the pot. Let the chicken soak in the sauce for at least 5 minutes.
Make-ahead tip: Cook the chicken through step 6, then cool and refrigerate both the chicken breast and the sauce. When you are ready to eat, remove the skin, shred the meat, heat up the chicken and sauce (if desired), and assemble the lettuce wraps.
To make the lettuce wraps:
- Spoon some of the chicken and sauce into the lettuce leaves.
- Sprinkle with the broccoli slaw, the green parts of the scallions, and the cashews.
- Serve immediately.
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at email@example.com!