Mexican Salad with Jalapeño Lime Dressing
After my pediatrician told me that beans were a superfood for babies, I’ve been buying a ton of black beans and pureeing them for my little one. For whatever reason beans aren’t in my normal repertoire so it’s been fun to have a new staple ingredient in the kitchen. When it comes to black beans, I almost always go to a Mexican-inspired salad. I also added grilled chicken which made a perfect light dinner.
- For the dressing:
- 1 1/2 jalapenos (keep at least half of the ribs and seeds for heat)
- 2 tablespoons veganaise
- 1/8 cup champagne vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Juice and zest from 2 lemons
- 1 cup loose, fresh, parsley leaves
- 1 large clove garlic
For the salad:
- Several large handfuls of lettuce, washed (I used oak leaf, but chopped romaine, red leaf, or kale would also work well)
- 8 small/medium tomatoes, cubed or quartered
- ½ large avocado, sliced (or more)
- 1/3 cup black beans
- Large handful toasted pepitas
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1-2 grilled chicken breasts, sliced
1. Prepare the dressing by adding all ingredients to a food processor, or blender, and blending.
2. Add your greens and all veggies to a large serving bowl. Top with grilled, sliced chicken and pour generous dressing on top. Toss and serve.
Yields: 2 servings
Per serving: 50-55 g carbohydrates
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!