Living with diabetes does not mean that you can never eat a birthday cake or any delicious dessert again. With a little planning, you can bake your own muffins and transform them into a more suitable option for managing your glucose levels.
As a chef in Mexico, I’m sharing one of my favorite recipes with you — Muffins Integrales (whole wheat muffins). This recipe was shared in the Tonalli Virtual Camp of the Mexican Diabetes Association. This delicious recipe makes 12 servings and each one contains 26 grams of carbs.
Before you get started, make sure you have these cooking items:
- Whisk or electric mixer
- Blender or food processor
- Measuring spoons
- Electric or gas oven
- Cupcake liners in the color of your choice
- Baking sheet
- 110 ml of water
- 125 gr (2 ¼ cup) of original All-Bran cereal
- 100 g (7 tablespoons) of honey
- 2 eggs
- 250 gr (1 2/3 cup) wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 175 ml (2/3 cup) skim milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 255 ºF (180 C°).
- Grind the whole-grain cereal (original All-Bran) and once it looks like a powder, hydrate it with water (110 ml), stir, and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs and honey until completely mixed, add
the vanilla at the end (set aside).
- In a different bowl put the flour, baking powder, baking soda and a
pinch of salt (stir), add the milk little by little, and lastly add the
mixture from the first bowl (egg with honey).
- Add the hydrated All-Bran cereal (mix).
- Pour the mixture into the cupcake liners using a spoon (3/4 of the way).
- Bake for 20 to 30 min.
- Remove and let cool.
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!