Salmon & Braised Fennel with Charred Orange & Green Goddess Dressing
Editor’s Note: This recipe was selected as part of a partnership between Beyond Type 1 and Sun Basket as a yummy way to eat and live well with type 1 diabetes. It was developed by nutritionists at Sun Basket as a lower-carb and well-balanced meal. Sign up here to try Sun Basket!
Requiring just one pan, this southern Italian–inspired meal incorporates aromatic versions of some of our favorite ingredients for a clean, paleo dinner.
- 1 orange
- 1 fennel bulb with stalk and fronds
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- Fish options:
- 2 wild Alaskan skin-on salmon fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- 2 wild Alaskan skinless halibut fillets (about 5 ounces each)
- Sun Basket paleo green goddess dressing (paleo mayo – parsley – apple cider vinegar – scallions – anchovy – fresh garlic – salt)
1) Prep the ingredients
Heat the oven to 450°F.
- Zest and juice half the orange. Cut half (including peel) into ¼-inch-thick slices, then cut each slice into quarters.
- Cut the fennel bulb lengthwise into quarters and cut away the core; cut the quarters lengthwise into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the fennel fronds from the stalk; coarsely chop the fronds. Divide into two equal portions, one for the vegetables and one for garnish.
- Peel and cut the yellow onion into ½-inch-thick slices.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
2) Char the orange slices
In a large ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, if desired, warm 1 teaspoon oil until hot but not smoking. Add the orange slices and cook, turning once, until charred on both sides, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate. Do not clean the pan.
3) Cook the fennel and fish
Prep and cook instructions are almost identical for both fish options.
- Pat the fish dry with a paper towel; season generously with salt and pepper.
In the same pan used for the orange, warm 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the fennel slices and onion, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are lightly browned and starting to soften, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the orange zest and juice, thyme and half the fennel fronds and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Place the fish on top of the vegetables (skin side up for the salmon). Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the fish is opaque and flaky, 10 to 12 minutes.
Makes 2 servings
Per serving: Calories: 480, Protein: 36g (72% DV), Fiber: 70g (280% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 10g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 4g (20% DV), Cholesterol: 70mg (23% DV), Sodium: 530mg (22% DV), Carbohydrates: 26g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!