Spaghetti Squash Casserole
It looks like spaghetti, kind of tastes like spaghetti, but it’s yummier with about one third of the carbohydrates. It’s a Spaghetti Squash Casserole. Major ingredients include: fresh mozzarella, organic tomato and squash! NO PASTA! Brilliant!
- 1 (3 1/2-4 pound) spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- 5 ounces caramelized onions
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 4-6 tablespoons chopped parsley, oregano, or thyme
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Microwave whole squash 2 minutes to soften skin a bit. Cut squash in half lengthwise, scrape out seeds/strings and discard. Rub cut insides of squash halves with olive oil, place cut side down on a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Add 1/4 cup water to pan and roast in oven for about 45-50 minutes, until squash is tender all the way through. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once squash is cooled, scoop out flesh with a large fork and place it in a bowl. As you remove the flesh, it will begin to separate into long strings, like spaghetti.
- Spray a 9 X 13 inch baking dish with nonstick spray. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F. Layer half of the long squash threads in the prepared dish, and half of the caramelized onions. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, to taste, pour 1 ½ cups of the sauce, sprinkle with half the fresh herb mix and sprinkle on half the Parmesan.
- For the second layer, place the rest of the squash threads in the dish. Top with the rest of the caramelized onions, more salt and pepper, the remaining sauce, fresh herb mix and Parmesan. Add the mozzarella balls, placing them evenly on top.
- Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes until casserole is bubbly and cheese is melted. Remove from oven and serve.
Yields: 4-6 servings
Prep time: 55 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Per serving: 16 g carbohydrates
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at email@example.com!