I like how people think that waffles are all fancy, to me they are just a faster way of making pancakes and less mess. We love the waffle iron over here.
Corn can be a true blood glucose (BG) devil. Popcorn? It’s a household favorite over here BUT we can never anticipate what is going to do to the BG. Still, we eat it. Anyway, I’m building up to cornmeal here, which actually doesn’t do much! We also have an easy time with polenta.
This recipe makes 12 waffles (they freeze well!)
- Coconut flour
- Coconut nectar
- Milk (alternative milks are fine too!)
- Pulled pork (we made this for dinner the night before with a dry rub)
- Ancho chili powder
- Baby Kale
- Red onion
- Shredded sharp cheddar (we like Beecher’s)
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Tapatio hot sauce
- Turn on your waffle iron. Melt some coconut oil or whatever you want to grease it up.
- Put 5/8 c coconut flour with 1 1/8 cup cornmeal with 1 TB baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 TB coconut nectar (or brown sugar just check the carbs) together in a bowl and mix.
- In another bowl, whisk 2 cups of milk and 2 eggs. Combine the liquid with the dry until well mixed.
- Add salt and pepper.
- While those are cooking (we use the kind of waffle iron that makes 4 at a time.) dice red onion, chop cilantro, slice fresh jalapeños, cube avocado, rinse baby kale (another sort of baby green will work just as well) and shred your cheese.
- In a pan place a bit of olive oil, add 1 tsp ancho chili, 1 tsp fresh minced garlic, salt and pepper. Heat up these spices and add in the pulled pork you cooked yesterday (note, if you don’t have pulled pork these are STILL super good! I would just add some of this spice on top of your fried eggs).
- Put the pork on a plate (make sure you make this close to the end so it doesn’t dry out!)
- Fry eggs.
- Stack your tacos: waffles, pork, little bit of cheese, avocado, fried egg, kale, onion, jalapeños, cheese and salt+pepper.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Each waffle 15g
1/4 cup cubed avocado 6g
1 egg 1g
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at email@example.com!