This was the first time I’ve ever made Huevos Rancheros, though I must say that I am an expert in eating them. Like, seriously professional eater here.
This is pretty easy to make in my opinion. I also am able to use my child Henry as a BG guinea pig and his BG was pretty stable with this. He’s also on a pump — so we extended his bolus just in case.
- 15 ounce can peeled tomatoes
- 1 white onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 pound chorizo
- 8 eggs
- 1 package corn tortillas
- 8 ounce can refried beans
- 1 avocado, diced Tip: I like to halve the avocados, and scoop them out with a spoon before I cut them. This helps make sure that your avocados have all nutrients they naturally store between the avocado meat and peel.
- Cojita (or feta if you can’t find it)
- Blend together tomatoes, onion, garlic and 2/3 of cilantro, and salt & pepper, to taste. Blend until smooth.
- Add mixture to a small saucepan and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
- In a skillet, brown the chorizo. Place on a paper towel lined plate to soak up the grease.
- In a skillet, fry eggs.
- Heat the tortillas, and place within a clean kitchen towel to keep warm.
- Heat the refried beans.
- Lay out tortillas, and evenly layer refried beans, chorizo, tomato sauce, eggs, avocado, onion, and cilantro. Add a final layer of chorizo, tomato sauce, cojita, cilantro and onion.
Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!