Ropa vieja is served with rice and plantain, the portion should be about a fist or a quarter of a plate. Check your blood glucose to see if the serving size is adequate or if you should modify it. For a low-carb option, consider serving ropa vieja with more vegetables and a smaller portion of rice and plantain.
If you want to share a recipe, send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or share your recipe here!
Ingredients (4 servings):
- 500 grams of shredded beef
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 plantain, sliced and fried
- 1 cup of assorted vegetables (beets, cabbage, carrots, chayote, cilantro, green beans, lettuce, onions, tomatillo, tomatoes, zucchini)
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 bell bell pepper, sliced
- 1 can (14 ounces) tomatoes, crushed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Preparation of shredded meat:
- In a large skillet, heat the cooking oil over medium heat. Add the chopped garlic and sliced onions. Sauté until onions are translucent.
- Add the shredded beef and mix well with the onions and garlic.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes until the meat is tender and the flavors are well blended.
Assembling the dish:
- Place a portion of shredded meat on one side of the plate.
- Add a portion of cooked rice on another side of the plate.
- Place the fried plantain slices next to the rice.
- Fill the remaining part of the plate with a colorful mix of vegetables such as beets, cabbage, carrots, chayote, cilantro, green beans, lettuce, onions, tomatillo, tomatoes and zucchini.
Nutritional Information (200 grams serving):
- Calories: 35402 kcal.
- Protein: 32 g.
- Fat: 10g per serving.
- Carbohydrates: 47 g per serving (including rice and banana).
The nutritional information in this recipe is an estimate.