Top This Almond Crust Pizza
Pizza can be an absolute nightmare for people with diabetes. It is also a well-known fact that pizza is one of the best foods ever. I came up with this almond flour pizza crust and its only a fraction of the carbs. I am always adjusting this recipe and you might find yourself doing the same. Here is a starting point and two versions of toppings that we love. You’ll need parchment paper, plastic wrap, and a rolling pin (though a long glass or cup will work in a pinch).
- rectangular pizza stone
- parchment paper
- plastic wrap
- rolling pin
- 1 bag of almond flour
- 3 eggs
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
- fresh herbs (optional)
- pizza sauce (I just buy it because I have other things to do)
Toppings (these are two of our favorite combinations):
- 8 Cubano peppers (sweet mild flavor)
- dry salami 10-15 slices for 1/2 a pizza
- shelled pistachios 1/2 cup chopped
- mozzarella shredded 8 oz bag
- goat cheese 8 oz
- 6 small summer squash (yellow and green)
- 2 onions and or 4 shallots sliced thinly
- fresh basil
- fresh lemon
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- In a large bowl put 3 cups of almond flour, add 2-3 eggs depending on size, 1 TB of olive oil, 1 tsp of salt, 1 tsp pepper (fresh cracked), 1 tsp or more of garlic powder and chopped fresh herbs. Hand mix. Once it seems all incorporated, leave it in a ball.
- Next, cut a piece of parchment to a little bit bigger than the pizza stone. Place the ball in the middle. Now take 1-2 pieces of plastic wrap the same size or bigger than the parchment paper. Evenly roll out the dough. You can trim the edges and put extra piece in where it might look too thin.
- Remove the plastic wrap and place the rolled out dough in the oven until it feels dry to the touch but not too dry because you are going to put it back in. Meanwhile prep your toppings. In about 10 minutes check on it, remove it, and turn the oven down to 325 F.
- Heat a little bit of olive oil in a cast iron skillet, cook the shallots or onions until soft, remove and place in a bowl.
- Add more olive oil to the pan and cook the 1/8 inch rounds of summer squash until slightly soft, remove from heat and place in bowl with onions/shallots.
- Slice the peppers into 1/4 inch rings and cook until slightly blackened. Remove from heat and place in a bowl.
- Coarsely chop the pistachios and set aside.
- Now spread the pizza sauce on only 1/4 the pizza.
- Sprinkle a little mozzarella and cover entire side with salami.
- Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese, pistachios and add cooked peppers.
- On the other half, scatter summer squash and onion/shallot mixture.
- Next crumble the goat cheese, crack some black pepper and salt and drizzle a little olive oil all over.
- Place the pizza in the oven and watch to see when the mozzarella is melted.
- Remove and let cool for a few minutes. Then add the fresh basil and squeeze the juice from half a lemon all over the goat cheese side.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
Grams of carbohydrates per serving:
1/8 cup tomato sauce 3g
Almond flour per slice 4.5g
chopped pistachios 1g
goat cheese 0g
mozzarella cheese 0g
(please double check your pizza sauce nutritional information)
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org!