Turkey Paillards with Cranberry Piccata Sauce
Turkey and cranberries are in season now, and I always recommend cooking with accessible and seasonal ingredients. When ingredients are harvested locally, they need less sauces and accompaniments and, therefore, are usually better for you. You can just appreciate the ingredient and the nutrients it provides.
For the cranberry piccata sauce:
- 1 medium fennel bulb (about ¾ pound), stalks discarded, cored and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- ½ bunch celery, thinly sliced
- 1 ½ teaspoons fennel seeds
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- ¼ cup hand-torn flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1-2 tablespoons stevia extract
- 1 ½ teaspoons freshly ground pink peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the turkey paillards:
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 cage-free organic eggs
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup almond flour
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 thick slices (6 ounces each) fully cooked turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
To make the sauce:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Spread the fennel on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and bake until browned on the edges, about 6 minutes. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, celery and fennel seeds and cook until the onions and celery are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine, cook for 2 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan to deglaze it.
- Add the toasted fennel, cranberries, parsley, capers, sweetener, pink pepper and butter and cook for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through. Remove the pan from the heat.
To cook the paillards:
- In a shallow bowl, whisk together the milk and eggs to make egg wash.
- In another shallow bowl, combine the panko, flour and Parmesan. Dip each piece of turkey in the egg wash, coating both sides, then dip into the breading mixture. Shake off any excess breading.
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the turkey and paillard topped with ¼ cup of the cranberry piccata sauce. You will have leftovers for another meal.
Yields: 4 servings
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Per serving: 14 g carbohydrates
Editor’s note: Learn more from Sam on healthy eating with T1D HERE.
Want to submit a recipe to us? Email us at email@example.com!